What is Book a Librarian?
Book a Librarian is a service for Highland Park Public Library card holders by appointment with a librarian for a one-to-one customized help and skill-building session. This free service is best used for complicated questions that require time beyond the general assistance and for more in-depth instruction on how to use the library's catalog, databases, digital resources and the Internet. The Library also offers proctoring services. Tests will be administered by appointment made with the proctoring staff member, except no exams will be administered during first ½ hour and last 1 hour during library hours. Read more about our proctoring policy.
What help and skill-building are provided?
Typical Book a Librarian sessions may include:
- Introduction to the library
- An overview of library collections and services and the Web site.
- Introduction to the library catalog – how to find a book, a CD or a DVD, place holds, set up and manage your account
- Research a topic using the library’s online databases.
- Download eBooks, eAudiobooks, and eMagazines
- Computer Skills
- Introduction to the computer for the person who has never used one
- Using a mouse, keyboarding
- Creating and managing files and folders
- Setting up and using an email account
- Internet basics, browsers, social media
- Assistance with Digital Media Lab equipment and software
Is there any kind of help I can’t get?
We cannot offer advice (except to advise you of reputable sources of evaluative information) or provide data entry for medical, legal, financial, business or personal transactions (contracts, agreements, enrollments, applications, online purchases, travel bookings, etc). Also, we are unable to set-up or install software for your personal devices.
What are the procedures for Book a Librarian?
- Book a Librarian is a service for Highland Park Public Library cardholders
- Sessions are typically 30 minutes to one hour
- Sessions are available on most Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons between 2 and 4 p.m. and are scheduled in advanced by appointment. Sessions are offered at other times during the week, evenings, and Saturdays, also by advance appointment
- You may have up to two sessions a month
How do I schedule a session?
Complete the form with as much information as possible. Let us know what you would like help with and what day and time of day is most convenient for you. We will get in touch with you to discuss your topic and to schedule a session as soon as possible. We require at least three (3) business days advance notice. We will schedule your appointment within three (3) business days.
I need to cancel my session. What’s the best way to do this?
Call the Reference Desk at 847.432.0216 x270 or 847.681.7031 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will help you reschedule your session.
Where do I go to check in for my Book a Librarian session?
Come to the Reference Desk in the center of the Adult Services Room.