Join and Support the Friends
The Friends of the Highland Park Public Library is dedicated to supporting the Library in its educational, social, and cultural role in our community. For more than 125 years, our Library has remained one of our greatest resources.
Funds that are raised by the Friends are used to purchase much needed equipment and materials and offer important special events that are not able to be funded through the usual budget. Over the years, the Friends have provided items as simple as specialized library furniture and as critical as technology upgrades to ensure the delivery of vital services to everyone in our community at no charge. The Friends has funded educational programs, summer reading programs, children’s special events, and many community-wide cultural events. Currently, the Friends achieve these goals through six critical strategies:
(1) Membership fees of $15 per person per year which demonstrates an individual’s support for this valuable institution;
(2) Regular sales in the Book Nook in the Lower Level Lobby on Tuesdays and Saturdays and sales of books displayed at all times in the corridor outside the Adult Services Room of donated books from the community and books retired from the library’s collection;
(3) Once or twice a year Big Sales(depending on the number of books donated) held in April-May and November in the Library auditorium on the lower level ;
(4) Annual direct mail appeal mailed to all households in 60035 in late fall;
(5) Special fundraising events such as luncheons, tribute dinners, and parlor meetings (educational meetings to learn even more about your library and its services).
You can help now by becoming a member of Friends of the Highland Park Public Library by sending a donation (minimum of $15) to Friends of HPPL, 494 Laurel Avenue, Highland Park, IL 60035.
You can help even more by responding generously to the annual mail appeal with a gift that directly benefits your community.
Let’s not forget our Book Sales – donate your gently used books, cds, DVDs, and vhs tapes. Please keep in mind that we wish to sell these items, this is not a disposal system for dirty, moldy books that should be tossed.
Finally, come into the Library at the regular Book Nook hours or during the Big Sales to purchase gently used books and electronics. We are much more favorably priced than any used or half-priced book store.
Friends Board of Directors
Carol Levenberg – President
Carol Porwancher – Vice-President
Suzanne Zweig – Recording Secretary
Leah Benjamin – Corresponding Secretary
Mary Anne Harrison – Treasurer
Jane Conway – Executive Director HPPL
Les Axelrod – Liaison to HPPL Board of Trustees
2012-2013 Board of Friends
Necia Apfel – Immediate Past President of Friends
Rosanne Cohen Else-Britt DeLong
Book Nook Volunteers