Summer Reading Week 3: Already? Time Flies.
* We gerbils cannot believe there have been three weeks of Summer Reading already! Wasn't it only yesterday we were telling you how excited we were for it to start? (We do have poor rodent memories... but still. It's been a fast summer!)
* Though you might not think it from looking at us, we gerbils love statistics! So here are some week 3 summer stats for you: 99 new kids joined the Reading is Delicious program and 404 more reviews have been posted. If you have lost count, that means that we have 843 kids signed up and 1439 reviews posted!
* Kids have donated $21.00 to the Moraine Township Food Pantry so far and our paper food pantry is about half full of decorated cans! We are so lucky to have such generous summer readers.
* The caterpillar in the Inger Boye room is HUGE! So many babies and toddlers are sharing books, songs, rhymes, and fingerplays with their grown-ups or siblings. Do you think the caterpillar will get long enough that he'll stretch out into the rest of the department? We gerbils sure do, considering how much it's grown since we last wrote. (24 segments which required two caterpillar feet to be added!)
Summer Reader of the Week
* Hear ye, hear ye! The Summer Readers of the Week have been drawn.
* Congratulations to 3 year old Sydney J., who enjoyed The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf, Just Behave, Pablo Picasso! by Jonah Winter, and Library Lily by Gillian Shields this week.
* Congratulations to first grader Nicholas T., who enjoyed What Is That? Said the Cat by Grace Maccarone, Dog's New Coat by Margaret Nash, and Little Lizard's new Pet by Melinda Melton Crow this week.
* As winners, Sydney and Nicholas's names, and the books they enjoyed this week will be displayed on our Electronic Bulletin Board for the summer. Check back here next Monday or look up on our electronic bulletin board when you come in to see reads from future Summer Reader of the Week winners!
Events at the Library This Week
* Stories Under the Stars meets Monday at 7:30pm in the clearing by the rose garden.
* James and the Giant Peach, the musical, is this Wednesday at 7pm. (Waiting list.)
* Outdoor Drop-In Chess on Saturday as usual!
Stuff from Last Week
* Check out the photos from Chef Gale Gand's cooking class on our Facebook page. Yum yum yum!
Around the Web
* A new young adult novel by Anrea J. Buchanan, called The Gift, has been published digitally, with e-book and app extras to create a multimedia reading experience- this may begin a new wave of book publishing. Pretty neat.
* Have you read The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin? Think you could pass a quiz about it? (We gerbils thought we could. We were wrong.)
* How about a Harry Potter quiz?
* Breaking Dawn fans... here are some photos of the Cullen family... including Renesmee!
* Everyday words that were invented by famous authors. Egads!
* Actress Cameron Diaz is going to write a book for young adults!
* A library in Michigan promoted a book burning party last summer? What?
* The Jim Henson Co. is preparing a Frog and Toad movie!
* Are classic children's literary heroes dying out?