Typical Book a Librarian sessions may include:
- An overview of library collections and services and the Web site.
- Introduction to the library catalog – how to find a book, a CD or a DVD, place holds, set up and manage your account
- Research a topic using the library’s online databases.
- Download eBooks, eAudiobooks, and eMagazines and other content from our free eResources
- Computer Skills
- Using a mouse, keyboarding
- Creating and managing files and folders
- Setting up and using an email account
- Internet basics, browsers, social media
- Assistance with Digital Media Lab equipment and software
Is there any kind of help I can’t get?
We cannot offer advice (except to advise you of reputable sources of evaluative information) or provide data entry for medical, legal, financial, business or personal transactions (contracts, agreements, enrollments, applications, online purchases, travel bookings, etc). Also, we are unable to set-up or install software on your personal devices.
What are the procedures for Book a Librarian?
Book a Librarian is a service for Highland Park Public Library adult cardholders
Sessions are typically 30 minutes to one hour
Sessions are by appointment and are scheduled in advance
You may have up to one session a week
How do I schedule a session?
Complete the form with as much information as possible. Let us know what you would like help with and what day and time of day are most convenient for you (evening and weekend appointments may be limited). We will get in touch with you to discuss your topic and to schedule a session as soon as possible. We require at least three (3) business days advance notice. We will schedule your appointment within three (3) business days.
I need to cancel my session. What’s the best way to do this?
Call the New Media Department at 847.432.0216 x105 or 847.681.7032 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will help you reschedule your session.
Where do I go to check in for my Book a Librarian session?
Come to the Computers & Technology desk in the Adult Department.