Get help from your friendly librarian!
What is Book a Librarian?
Book a Librarian is a service for Highland Park Public Library adult cardholders by appointment with a librarian for a one-to-one customized help and skill-building session. Book a Librarian is a service for Highland Park Public Library cardholders only. This free service is best used for complicated questions that require time beyond the general assistance and for more in-depth instruction on how to use the library's catalog, databases, digital resources, and the Internet.
The Library also offers proctoring services. Tests will be administered by appointment made with the proctoring staff member, except no exams will be administered during the first ½ hour and last 1 hour during library hours. Read more about our proctoring policy
What help and skill-building are provided?
Typical Book a Librarian sessions may include:
- An overview of library collections and services and the Web site.
- Introduction to the library catalog – how to find a book, a CD or a DVD, place holds, set up and manage your account
- Research a topic using the library’s online databases.
- Download eBooks, eAudiobooks, and eMagazines and other content from our free eResources
- Computer Skills
- Using a mouse, keyboarding
- Creating and managing files and folders
- Setting up and using an email account
- Internet basics, browsers, social media
- Assistance with Digital Media Lab equipment and software
Is there any kind of help I can’t get?
We cannot offer advice (except to advise you of reputable sources of evaluative information) or provide data entry for medical, legal, financial, business or personal transactions (contracts, agreements, enrollments, applications, online purchases, travel bookings, etc). Also, we are unable to set-up or install software on your personal devices.
What are the procedures for Book a Librarian?
- Book a Librarian is a service for Highland Park Public Library adult cardholders
- Sessions are typically 30 minutes to one hour
- Sessions are by appointment and are scheduled in advance
- You may have up to one session a week
How do I schedule a session?
Complete the form with as much information as possible. Let us know what you would like help with and what day and time of day are most convenient for you (evening and weekend appointments may be limited). We will get in touch with you to discuss your topic and to schedule a session as soon as possible. We require at least three (3) business days advance notice. We will schedule your appointment within three (3) business days.
I need to cancel my session. What’s the best way to do this?
Where do I go to check in for my Book a Librarian session?
Come to the Reference Desk in the center of the Information and Readers Services Room.